I recently bought a kitten from a breeder in QLD and all seemed fine, she kept in good contact with me before and after the purchase and the kittens arrival. but I have a few issues and I would like some help and opinions.
Saturday morning after she put the kitten on the plane from Brisbane to Adelaide she let me know the kitten had diarrhea from the stress of the 1000 km car travel to Brisbane, and that she took her to the vet and the vet said she would be fine. Would anyone else send a kitten after a vet gave their ok but they were ill? I personally wouldn't but I had no idea until she had already left.
also when the kitten arrived I took her to the vet for a check-up and to get her second lot of vaccinations but as I suspected the vet wouldn't vacc her because she was ill. The vet weighed her and at 14 weeks she was only 650 grams. Is this common for a Devon kitten? I would assume that they grow approx 100 grams per week as per normal kitten growth guidelines. The vet got a second opinion and both vets suggested that she was not in fact as old as what the breeder had said, or if she was there was something seriously wrong. By the growth guidelines I would have thought she would have been at least 1.5 kgs? more than double her actual weight.
Over the 6 days she was with us, she did not improve and couldn't hold her body temp so we had to hold her and keep her warm as well as using our neuter as a surrogate mum to keep her warm when we weren't home.
After 6 days of constant vet visits and treatments to try to improve her health, and daily hand feeding and dripper feeding a water and Vytrate mix to ensure she was eating and drinking the kitten quickly deteriorated to the point where she was unable to control her own bodily functions and started to get hypothermic.
We were out for a whole 2 hours and came home to her in a puddle of her own pee and she was unable to move, just quietly crying. We took her straight to the vet, the vet left his patients to work on her as soon as we arrived and because she was so small and so ill the vet was sure she wouldn't survive further treatment and suggested euthanasia above further treatment to prevent her from further suffering.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Do you know what may have caused this? or any other info you may think would be relevant?
This has been an expensive and painstaking 6 days, but at least poor Pixie is not suffering anymore.
Thank you in advance, Angela
I forgot to mention that general blood test results come back tomorrow to try to point us in the right direction of the cause.