This is an open Forum - visible to Members and non-Members

Help !!!!!

My girl who gave birth yesterday is trying to pull the kittens cords off. I just caught her picking them up by the cord with her teeth. Has anyone experienced this or can give me some idea of what I might be able to do????I won't be able to sleep tonight as I feel like I have to watch her all the time. I know the cords will drop off but it is still a few days away.Any help would be appreciated.Gill

You need to be a member of Devon Zone to add comments!

Join Devon Zone

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Gill, would you be able to put a little piece of paper tape over their cords. Maybe speak to a chemist about what would be best not to irritate the kittens skin. Otherwise I can see why you would be reluctant to sleep.

I know that with horses you put diluted iodine on their cords, would you be able to do that, the taste might deter her.

Good luck

Janelle
  • Hi Janene

I have cut the cords really short and just spoke to my vet who told me not to stress as she said she has only heard about hernias being caused by cord trauma from breeders and she doesn't believe it to be the case. She said Tilde can't do much harm and if she doesn't happen to get it off and it bleeds just to apply pressure with clean gauze for a few minutes.

It is interesting she doesn't believe hernias are caused by trauma, she said they are genetic. I have researched hernias being genetic before and came to the conclusion that in some cases it obviously is but I found myself feeling a bit unclear about it in the end. I know that in some cases breeders are right and vets are wrong but hopefully in this case she is right.

It freaked me out to see Tilde pick the kitten up by the cord in her teeth. I put betadine on them after I recut them but that makes her more focused on them because she doesn't want any foreign substance on her babies. She is fastidious with cleaning and I think that is the problem. Hopefully she will find something else to focus on soon.
    Gill

Janelle Harvey said:
    Gill, would you be able to put a little piece of paper tape over their cords. Maybe speak to a chemist about what would be best not to irritate the kittens skin. Otherwise I can see why you would be reluctant to sleep.

I know that with horses you put diluted iodine on their cords, would you be able to do that, the taste might deter her.

Good luck

Janelle
  • I havent had this Gill, but i would just sit by her for awhile. is she a first time mum? She is just being overzealous, but yes it would be wearing at my mind all night too.
    I think the iodine might work too, as Janelle said. I would just reassure her, and give her a good feed herself, and make sure all the kittens ars sucking and hve full bellies. In a few hours she might have settled down and you will get your rest.
    Good luck
    peta
  • Thanks Peta
    Third litter which is why it is a bit surprising. She isn't in the kitten room however she is in our bedroom as Ripley has her litter in the kitten room, so things are a bit different for her this time. I am sure she will settle, the babies are sleeping and I just spent some time with her in there on my bed. I think I will leave her alone for awhile as it is a bit more disruptive for her being in the bedroom.

Gill

Peta www.kyapark.com.au said:
    I havent had this Gill, but i would just sit by her for awhile. is she a first time mum? She is just being overzealous, but yes it would be wearing at my mind all night too.
    I think the iodine might work too, as Janelle said. I would just reassure her, and give her a good feed herself, and make sure all the kittens ars sucking and hve full bellies. In a few hours she might have settled down and you will get your rest.
    Good luck
    peta
  • Good Morning Gill

How did Tilde go through the night?
  • Hi Janelle
    She has stopped focusing on the cords thank goodness, I will remember next time to cut them short. It is the first time I have ever seen this. I needed to move her box this morning to the other corner of the bedroom and she decided she didn't want to be there and Gary woke up to a baby squealing because she had picked it up and moved it back to where the box was originally. Since then however she has accepted the new spot and we are leaving her in peace today to do the mum thing.

It has really highlighted to me how much they need that peace and quiet in these early stages in order to feel settled and safe. As she has previously been so relaxed with her babies I made the mistake of thinking this time would be the same, particularly as she has spent a significant part of her pregnancy in that part of the house. Just shows you how a slight change in the environment can stress them. I think she will be fine now.

All the activity hasn't made any difference to the babies however, they all gained 17 grams on day one and another 15 grams overnight. She has so much milk but as usual they don't want to share boobs, they squabble over two or three. The back boobs are so huge, poor thing!!!!
    Gill
  • Gill,

Great to hear that Tilde has settled well with her babies, I remember with Marlis last litter that she kept moving them onto our bed. We spent a couple of nights sleeping on a matress on the floor and then I decided that the little princess and her babies needed to move on :) She eventually settled elsewhere, but she was a fairly determined miss at first.

You have to love them.

Janelle
  • Yes Janelle, while it can be worrying, we do have to remind ourselves it is all about their need to protect their babies and be the best mums they can be. So in short, the cords are intact, the bellies are fat and mum is happy!!!!

Gill
This reply was deleted.