This is an open Forum - visible to Members and non-Members

Rash

Hi one of my boys has a rash on the inside of his legs. I think he is cleaning him self to much is there anything I can do to prevent or heal this? P.S I bath him once a week with baby shampoo. Thanks elana

You need to be a member of Devon Zone to add comments!

Join Devon Zone

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• hi elena, maybe you bade him too much, it's not necessary to bade a devon rex that often. I only bade them before a show or occasionally when they have a bold tummy, cause they get a bit filthy. I also prefer a good cat shampoo. The Ph of cats is different then from humans, we have ph neutral (0), cats I thought have Ph 5.

Maybe you changed cat litter? I had it one time with my neuter that also got a rash on the inside of his legs, it was because of a change of cat litter.
    • Thanks for replying. I haven't changed his cat little so it wouldn't be that and the shampoo my breeder told me to use it. I could be washing a bit to much maybe like you said. Thanks for your advice.

Nathalie said:
      hi elena, maybe you bade him too much, it's not necessary to bade a devon rex that often. I only bade them before a show or occasionally when they have a bold tummy, cause they get a bit filthy. I also prefer a good cat shampoo. The Ph of cats is different then from humans, we have ph neutral (0), cats I thought have Ph 5.Maybe you changed cat litter? I had it one time with my neuter that also got a rash on the inside of his legs, it was because of a change of cat litter.
  • My parents' cat (not devon) used to do the same but on his belly. Now he's better. I read this may be the result of too little hormones. It mailny concerns castrated males. But this is only a speculation, vets aren't sure. It can sometimes occur after changing cat's food-as a allergy. I hope it's 'only' a case of the shampoo or somehting. By the way, has the situation improved?
  • thanks so much for the info.
    its getting a little better we might have to take him to the vet if it keeps coming up.
    thank you so much for that

Monika said:
    My parents' cat (not devon) used to do the same but on his belly. Now he's better. I read this may be the result of too little hormones. It mailny concerns castrated males. But this is only a speculation, vets aren't sure. It can sometimes occur after changing cat's food-as a allergy. I hope it's 'only' a case of the shampoo or somehting. By the way, has the situation improved?
  • Extensive cleaning like that is often a sign of stress so I'd check his situation and see how he's doing. A kitten I sold a few years ago was returned to me as an adult due to stress. He was bullied by his brother and the stress made him clean himself to the point he almost bled from the inside of his legs and on the belly. 14 days on a corticorticoid gel and a stress free enviroment at my home made him perfecty healthy.

My vet also said that FLUTD can cause that kind of symptoms. Pain in the bladder can make the cat lick the belly and/or the insides of his legs so that's also good to have in mind.
  • thank you very much for that. i will keep an eye on him. i know that kicks my other devon play fights with bernard a lot and he gets him and pins him down to , could that be a bit of bulling?

thanks for reply.

Matilda Eriksson said:
    Extensive cleaning like that is often a sign of stress so I'd check his situation and see how he's doing. A kitten I sold a few years ago was returned to me as an adult due to stress. He was bullied by his brother and the stress made him clean himself to the point he almost bled from the inside of his legs and on the belly. 14 days on a corticorticoid gel and a stress free enviroment at my home made him perfecty healthy.

My vet also said that FLUTD can cause that kind of symptoms. Pain in the bladder can make the cat lick the belly and/or the insides of his legs so that's also good to have in mind.
  • Could be, but not necessarily. Observe them and try to see if it's just playing or something more. In the case with "my" kitten it was quite obvious that he was bullied since his brother tried to keep him away from the owner. He chased him away as soon as he got near her.
  • i will watch them when they are playing.
    thank you so much it have been a great help.
    thanks elana

Matilda Eriksson said:
    Could be, but not necessarily. Observe them and try to see if it's just playing or something more. In the case with "my" kitten it was quite obvious that he was bullied since his brother tried to keep him away from the owner. He chased him away as soon as he got near her.
  • i would just like to say thank you all for replaying to this i have since found out that bernard was dragging him self up the stairs of the new scratching post we got for the boys. when he should have be going up them not going behind them and pulling him self up the stairs. lolSmile.gif
This reply was deleted.